Saturday, August 20, 2005

Your Mileage May Vary...

The red 2005 mustang rental is long gone, but that doesn't mean that I am back to "000" on the coolness meter, we recently purchased a hybrid SUV. We have the 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

I've read about the "break in period" for hybrids which say that you will not see the best gas mileage out of the box, but rather after 3000-5000 miles or more.

The EPA suggests 31 mpg city and 28 mpg highway with this vechicle. My first stop at the gas station was after 318 miles and required 14.7 gallons. So, I am starting off at 21.7 mpg. But 2/3 through that first tank of gas, I was averaging 18-19 mpg, so either my driving habits changed or I already started to see better mileage. Time will tell.

But regardless of the mileage (which is still MUCH better than that on my 2001 Pathfinder), the Highlander Hybrid is a SULEV, which of course stands for a Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle. This cuts down at least 80% of the emissions of a regular SUV.

Yes, I know that a smaller hybrid would get better gas mileage, throw out fewer emissions, and be a better green vehicle. But have you seen the size of our dog recently?

While not quite the vehicle of the future, it is really the vehicle of the now! America thinks it needs big, roomy, and fast vehicles. Did I mention that I have 268 horses under the hood? ... and 0-60 in just 7.5 seconds, quicker than the gas-powered 2005 270 hp Patherfinder . As far as roomy, have you seen the size of my ass recently (sorry, no link here)?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home